Monday, September 26, 2016

Sketching Pears

Art does not reproduce what we see; rather, it makes us see.
~Paul Klee
sketch, pear, graphite, charcoal, toned paper, GSivitz
Sketch of a pear
graphite, charcoal, and white charcoal on toned paper.

In preparation for my 30 Pears in 30 Days starting October 1, I've been doing some sketches of pears in various settings as part of my morning sketching routine. Getting to know my subject, as it were...

sketch, pear, graphite, charcoal, old books, toned paper, GSivitz
Sketch of a pear with books
graphite, charcoal, and white charcoal on toned paper.

I've never been a fan of eating pears, but I am developing a great appreciation for their form and all the different subtle colors on them. People at the grocery store must think I'm crazy, picking through all the pears to find just the right one.

A note on the sketching surface I'm using - it's Strathmore 400 Series Toned Tan paper and I really love the effect of the white charcoal pencil on the tan paper. I started using it over the summer and it's been a nice change from white paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. I appreciate you stopping by.

POPULAR POSTS